We know that renaming a Channel in Teams breaks the associated SharePoint link. It creates a new folder in SharePoint but when you access the files from Teams, it takes you back to the original folder. Confusing and messy!!
However, I have a process to rename a Channel in Teams without breaking the link to SharePoint.
Before I change things, I want to show how my current Team is setup.
And the last part of the SharePoint URL:
The steps below describe how to rename a Team Channel without breaking the SharePoint link associated with the channel.
- In Teams, select the Channel to be renamed
- Select “Edit this channel”
- Rename it with some gibberish name, and click “Save” (example: From Football to Football-asdfghjk)
- Select the renamed Channel again, and select “Delete this Channel”
- Navigate to the associated SharePoint site, and select “Documents”
- Select the folder associated with the Channel Name, and select “Rename”
- Rename the folder and select “Save”. In my example I renamed it to “Soccer”.
8. Go back to Teams and create a Channel called “Soccer”
Here’s what it looks like in Teams and SharePoint
Hope the above helps and this is the best way i could find to rename a channel without breaking SharePoint link.