Yes, you can automate the process of updating an Excel file when a new item is added to a SharePoint list. You can achieve this by using Power Automate (formerly Microsoft Flow).
Here’s a step-by-step guide to create a flow that updates an Excel file when a new item is added to a SharePoint list:
1. Prepare the Excel file
- Create an Excel file with a table that has the same columns as your SharePoint list.
- Save the Excel file to a location accessible by Power Automate, such as OneDrive for Business or SharePoint.
2. Create a new Flow in Power Automate
- Go to Power Automate (https://flow.microsoft.com/), sign in, and click “Create” from the left sidebar.
- Choose “Automated cloud flow” and give it a name.
- Select the “When an item is created” SharePoint trigger from the list of triggers, and click “Create”.
3. Set up the SharePoint trigger
- Fill in the “Site Address” and “List Name” fields with the appropriate information for your SharePoint list.
4. Add an “Excel Online (Business)” Action
- Add the “Add a row into a table” Excel Online (Business) action.
- Fill in the “Location”, “Document Library”, “File”, and “Table” fields to point to the Excel file and table you created earlier.
- In the “Row” field, click on “Add dynamic content” and map the SharePoint list columns to the corresponding Excel table columns.
5. Save and Test your Flow
- Save the flow and test it by adding a new item to your SharePoint list. The flow should run automatically and add a new row to the Excel table with the data from the new SharePoint item.
Now, whenever a new item is added to your SharePoint list, the flow will automatically update the Excel file with the new data. You won’t have to manually extract and update the data in Excel anymore.